Sunday, January 9, 2011

Going Down With My Boots On - Funny Story #1 from Last Year's Appendectomy

(NOTE:  Another of last year's posts...I'm okay now.)


Late last week, I had a horrible night.  I was running 104 degrees fever, and in terrible pain.  I should have just gone to the emergency room that night, but the pain eased.  Chills stopped.
The next morning, I told ThatManILove I was going to the doctor.  He was heading out to the field, to substitute in for a guy that needed a day off, and would be back early afternoon.  I told him to go on, and promised I would call my brother Scott if I needed a ride, or anything.  TMIL left around 4:30 that morning.  
I got up, took a shower, fixed my hair and put on makeup, and called my brother.  He assured me he was coming to Midland and would clear his day for me “just in case.”
I went to my office to collect my computer, since I was working on a project.  And everything started again.
I drove straight to my personal physician, who diagnosed :  appendicitis. He called the emergency room, I drove to my house, and Scott met me there.  We went to the hospital.
Because of my level of pain, they immediately put me in a patient room.  They got me comfortable, gave me drugs, and I settled in for a long wait while they ordered tests, started i.v., and asked a million questions.
At some point, I had to go to the bathroom.  Since I was on drugs, a nurse had to walk me to the bathroom down the hall, and back to my room.  
I came in, looked at Scott, and said, “These drugs must be some good shit.”
Scott:  Why?

Me:  I kid you not, as I was walking down the hall, I saw a guy all gowned up, with his stuff all hanging out, and...he was wearing a cowboy hat.  And the gown is open to the front.

Scott, laughing:  Seriously?  His cowboy hat?  He’s wearing his cowboy hat with a gown?

Me:  Yeah, you might be a redneck stuff, huh?  I dunno.  It may be the drugs.  But will you go look?  (at this time, he would do freakin’ anything to stop me from hurting and to make me laugh - which, by the way, hurt just as much.)
Scott goes out of the room, and shortly comes back with this killer grin.
Scott:  Yup.

Me:  I’m not hallucinating?

Scott:  Nope.  And....

Me:  What?

Scott:   He has on his cowboy boots, too.
I had to call for more drugs.  Yeah, baby.  I’m from Texas.



4 comments:

You know you have SOMETHING to say, so spit it out! I love comments!