Monday, January 3, 2011

The Prey...

Repost from early 2010:


In the past years, we have seen a couple of mice in this house.  I’ve not seen any lately, but I’m always looking, because i hate the wee furry little creatures!
Last night, ThatManILove left the TV room and went into the bedroom to get his book.  We always keep the dogs in the same room with us, so when TMIL left the TV room, he shut the dogs back into the room with me.
I was blogging and watching TV, and realized Zanna was way too still.  I looked around the room, and found her...on point.  
She was looking at something behind the TV.
I thought, “Great.  TMIL is in the other room.  Whatever it is, if it’s a mouse, when I move, it’s going to run, and Zanna will probably try to catch it, and we’ll have a wreck in this room!   Ooohh...I hate mice.  Hate ‘em, hate ‘em, hate ‘em.”
I quietly eased off the couch and moved toward Zanna.  She doesn’t flinch, that Zanna-girl is on a hard point.  I move onto the rug, trying to be as quiet as I can.  I take a peek behind the TV, right where Zanna’s nose is pointing.
Thank God it’s not a mouse.  Or a snake.  Not even a lizard.
It’s a housefly, 
A common housefly.  And I bet with all those eyes, that fly is scared to death. Because you know it’s gotta be seeing about a million spots on a hard-pointing quivering in her footprints out of pure excitement spotted wonder pup.
I had to say “No bird, Zanna” three times to get her to break point.
I laughed so hard, I cried.  Her trainers will be so proud.



2 comments:

  1. Oh that's funny! Are you sure she isn't part cat? My cats will chase a fly around for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you never know about Zanna Roseannadanna. She's a wild one.

    ReplyDelete

You know you have SOMETHING to say, so spit it out! I love comments!