Tuesday, April 1, 2014

I Saw A Feral Hog In Ben Wheeler, Texas

It was a crazy week last week for ThatJanieGirl.

I traveled to East Texas for the funeral of a cousin.

And I saw a lot of funny things.

I’m tired, but I have enjoyed tripping through small towns, and seeing lots of cool things.

Small towns are quirky.  They have their own type of charm, and their own type of crazy.  And I love them.

This sight, in Ben Wheeler, Texas, warranted a turn-around yesterday when en route to the airport.

And, of course, a picture. 

Of a bus.  Dressed up to look like a hog.



And then, of course, I had to check it all out.  This morning’s research reveals that Ben Wheeler, Texas, is the home of the following events:

The Fall Feral Hog Festival (October 25, 2014)
The World Championship Wild Hog Cookoff (October 24, 2014)

The Far Out Art Fest and June Bug Music Festival (June 21-22, 2014)

And…

The Fall Feral Hog Follies (October 25, 2014)

The town is also home to Moore’s Store, voted Best Live Music Venue by the County Line Magazine Readers!

In doing a little research, I found that most of this town’s revitalization was spurred on by a man named Brooks Gremmels.  What a way to transform a small town of 1000 people!  It is nothing less than amazing.

Mr. Gremmels has passed (read a cool story about him here) earlier this year, but this little town continues to grow and thrive.


It’s just quirky and eclectic enough that it’s going to warrant a “Further Investigation” trip by ThatManILove and I…so stay tuned.


2 comments:

  1. I have to admit that any town celebrating a feral hog population piques my interest!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a swine photo and story, Janie. Hope you go whole hog into your investigation.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete

You know you have SOMETHING to say, so spit it out! I love comments!